Monday 15 June 2020

Dieting is hard

It's getting harder and harder to shed the pounds. This was a hard-won tenth of a kilogram...

Two changes - first, I finally got around to fitting the new (to me, it's secondhand) carbon handlebar, a Truvativ Noir T40, which, as we have previously established, is so light it would blow away in a stiff breeze. However, it turns out that the original bar was pretty light too, for aluminium, and this only yielded an 83g saving, if the Kitchen Scales of Truth™ are to be believed. Never mind. Also pictured is the newly fitted replacement aero bracket for my GPS, which quickly failed in the same way as the original. Never mind.

The rest of the tiny weight saving came by putting on these excellent Shimano PD-R8000 Ultegra SPD-SL carbon pedals. I didn't buy them to save weight, I got them to enter the world of cleats and clipping in... but even so, I got a 14g weight saving across the pair. Yes, I weighed pedals to record a 14g weight reduction. You ought to feel sorry for me really.

Where else can I shave some weight off? Well, I could get a carbon stem, but that's going to be a lot of money for a tiny saving. A better bet might be to treat myself to a new saddle, maybe with carbon rails. Other than that, I'd just have to buy a new bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment