Tuesday 14 September 2021

Recovery

Me on RAB, in the rain
So, the Ride Across Britain has been done! And it was very hard, harder than I had anticipated (and my expectation was that it would be very difficult).

It all stills feels a bit raw, if I'm honest, physically and emotionally, and I think I'm going to need some time to process the enormity of the ride, and the fact that I managed to do it all, despite wanting to quit after day one.

So when I have taken that time to process, I'll write up the experience and post it here. Until then, here are some basic stats:

  • Start line crossed on day one: 6:26am, 4th September 2021
  • Total distance recorded: 974.15 miles
  • Total elevation climbed: 55,666ft
  • Elapsed riding time: 93hr 4min 12sec
  • Moving time: 80hr 5min 33sec
  • Average speed: 12.2mph
  • Maximum speed: 49.4mph
  • Finish line crossed on day nine: 3:33pm, 12th September 2021

4 comments:

  1. Belated congratulations Martin. That's a hell of an achievement. I look forward to reading your account of how it went. With hindsight, do you think the one-year delay worked for you or against you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Mark. I think the year's delay was a double-edged sword - it certainly helped with extra fundraising time, and I might have struggled to hit my target without the extra year. However, I'm a year older and certainly not as strong or fit as I was a year ago. Pre-COVID, I was cycling 60 miles a week just going to work and back, and I felt very "bike-shaped", for want of a better phrase. Although I had put in plenty of hours this year, a lot of that was on a turbo trainer, and that's not the same. So financially, the delay worked for me; physically, against.

      Delete
  2. Huge congratulations too from me. I'm just catching up on these posts as have been looking forward to hearing more about how it all went. And of course the main thing is I'm glad you're back in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. Things are starting to not hurt now, so that's progress.

      Delete