Wednesday 1 January 2020

The what and the why

In September 2020 [EDIT: now postponed to Sept 2021, due to COVID-19], I will be cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats (LEJOG) in the Deloitte Ride Across Britain event - cycling 980 miles in 9 days. I am a not-particularly-sporty middle-aged man, fairly new to long-distance cycling, and will be doing this on my clapped-out old bike - so this will be a massive challenge for me. Thus far, I've only ever cycled 100 or more in a day twice...so what could go wrong?

I am fundraising for the Alzheimer's Society, a charity that seeks to transform the landscape of dementia forever. Until a cure can be found, the Alzheimer's Society works to create a society where those affected by dementia are supported and accepted, able to live in their community without fear or prejudice.

From a personal perspective, my aunt passed away recently - her last years were blighted by dementia. Other friends and family are also affected. This has influenced my choice of charity - no-one should have to suffer from this wretched, awful condition. Anyway, if you'd like to sponsor me, that would be lovely, thanks.

I've got eight months to get ready for this, during which time I'm going to use this blog to record my training and document any kit I buy/use. Maybe it'll be interesting. Let's find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment